View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Fridge Logic Magnet

Default Re: So I read through Dungeon World and had some questions about it's popularity and

I've run both DW (using a set of some of the better balanced pay for extra skin/character classes) and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (pre-KS). My players enjoyed both games and we can see that they scratch different gaming itches. I'm going to Dungeon Fantasy RPG for my third kick at the can because I really like how they've streamlined GURPS to the essentials for the genre and then I can incremental build upon it w/ the GURPS DF supplements as needed.

That being said I will probably bring in some DW techniques (certain ways of dealing w/ Moves and co-opting players into spontaneous world building) but these are tricks that can be used w/ any game. Hank Infernal (of Drinking w/ Dragons Fame) does a couple of episodes on how DW is a great supplement to read for any OSR gamer

DW can be good for very quick, low prep, pick me up games where you can also build in some asymmetric power dynamic if your players like that. It is good for, small number of session, concept campaigns as well (A Djinn, A Rakasha and Oni meet in a bar....) Some of the 3rd party supplements are brilliant for story/monster ideas andit's the only system you could easily play a Space Wyrm campaign.

pbG games, for us, are the ones to go to when you going to build a meatier game that will be played for awhile or when we have an urge for tactical combat play style.
Fridge Logic Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote