View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Optimizing Traveller Ship designs Post TRAVELLER: STARSHIPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Given that GT is available from FFE on CD, it's probably worthwhile, if you enjoy doing it or are doing it for your own campaign anyway.
As it stands now...

I had a friend download the GMV software for use on his Windows 10 computer - just to see if it would run or not, and it appears that it does.

My optimizations will of course, require that I specify the what of the optimization, and the why of it.

I sent an email to the moderator for this section of the Forums asking if it would be a copyright violation to post those optimization items here on the thread. I've yet to hear back from him. (Seeing as it is less than 24 hours since I sent the message, I'm not worried as yet).

But, that is precisely what I'm doing ship by ship - optimizing it using the compact bridge, small utility, and small engineering modules. Using the 49 sTon thrust TL 10 maneuver drives frees up more volume.

Here is a sample of the optimized Sulieman Scout:

Design: 100 ton SL hull, DR 200, Heavy Compartmentalization, Basic Stealth, Basic Emission Cloaking, 1 turret (Dr 100)

Modules: Basic Bridge - compact Option, Sm Engineering, 3 Jump Drive, 16 Maneuver Drive (784 sTons thrust), 20 Jump Fuel tank, 19 Hold, 1 spacedock

Statistics:
Emass 250 sTons, LMass 365 sTons, Cost: MCr 25.25 HP: 15,000 (DT: 1,500), Size Modifier +8, HT 12, Maint 4 Hrs (24.1 Man-hrs per day).

Performance: Jump-2, sAccel 2.15 G Air Speed: 2,050 mph, Dodge 1 + 1/2 Pilot Skill (-4 vs Meso Fire).

The big differences between the old version and the optimized version are:

25.25 Mcr vs 26.4 (original rules)
19 Hold vs 12.5 Hold (Original Rules)

sAccel of 2.15 vs original 2.3 This is due to being able to carry more cargo capacity, which in turn increases it overall mass when fully laden.

Note: In using only 16 Maneuver Drives rated at 49 sTons of thrust, 16 x 49 = 784 vs 20 x 40 sTons or 800 sTons of thrust. My optimized version is 16 sTons less in thrust than the original. Easy fix would be to change the number of Thrusters from 16 to 17, and remove 1 dTon of cargo capacity.

Last edited by hal; 05-15-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added additional reason why sAccel was less than original... (in blue)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote