View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
dataweaver

Default Re: Conditional Injury (Pyramid #120) thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I normally use tBone's grazes rule, where an attack made by zero (or a defense failed by one) halves damage. In this system, that would be equivalent to subtracting two from the Wound Potential.
For simplicity, I'd only go with an additional -1: the idea is that a graze does less damage than normal, with “half damage” being a fairly simple calculation to do. And in this case, an additional -1 at zero is easier to remember and preserves the pattern already established. Which, by the way, was intended to be a repurposing of your DR replacement rule: one point above the cutoff reduces the Would Penalty by 3, and drop that reduction by one for every point beyond that. I'm just applying it to the “you missed!” cutoff (i.e., the margin of success) instead of “your armor stopped it!” cutoff. I like that more than having the amount of damage you inflict being entirely unrelated to how well you did on your roll: it makes more sense to me that the better you rolled on your attack, the more damage you do; and it cuts down on the number of rolls that need to be made: attack and defense instead of attack, defense, and damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I've now got a ST table I intend to use with this, but it also borrows heavily from my version of the Know Your Own Strength rule, so it shares almost nothing with the vanilla table. The game I intend to test this under is a western, so unless they run afoul of a bear or something, damage should be either read from a firearm stat-line or from "normal human" levels of ST.
Sounds reasonable. I, too, like to pair Know Your Own Strength and Conditional Damage. That said: with my MoS-based Wound Potential system, I intend to read damage from the top down: whatever the damage dice are, multiply by 6 and look that up as Penetrating Damage to find the equivalent Wound Potential — or, if you want to put it another way, the Attack Strength. So 1d6 has an Attack Strength of 2, 2d6 has an Attack Strength of 4, 3d6 has an Attack Strength of 5, 4d6 has an Attack Strength of 6, 5d6 and 6d6 have an Attack Strength of 7, 7d6–10d6 have an Attack Strength of 8, 11d6–14d6 have an Attack Strength of 9, 15d6–20d6 have an Attack Strength of 10, and so on, with a doubling of dice roughly equivalent to +2 Attack Strength and a tenfold increase in dice being +6 Attack Strength. Multipliers (usually ×10 or ×100) also become additions (+6 and +12, respectively).

And I'm using the term “Attack Strength” deliberately: it's very much the same thing as Striking Strength, but for attacks that aren't muscle-powered.