View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #38
Icelander

Default Remote Swamp in Florida for Florida Swamp People

Where in Florida would I find the most remote, inaccessible isolated communities of clannish Duck Dynasty/Swamp People -esque people?

I'm aware that these are both set in Louisiana, yes. The character for whose backstory this is actually comes from Louisiana, originally, with all his Cajun kin, but they've spread all over the Gulf Coast, at least to places sufficiently hospitable to their lifestyle*, and his branch lives somewhere in Florida.

Culturally, I'd prefer the Panhandle, but climatically and ecologically, it might be that it's necessary to have it be in southern Florida, like the Everglades. The PC requires a mangrove tree near his home, for example.

It's absolutely imperative that there is no convenient way to reach the place. Ideally, no road, just fanboats. But if possible, there should also be trees and thick, impassable greenery in places. Basically, the local terrain would, in a perfect world, offer some combination of bayou, swamp, jungle and forest.

Any suggestions?

Edit: If placing a family of a few hundred Cajuns in Florida living a lifestyle iconic of Cajuns in the wetlands of Louisiana stretches credibility or just feels wrong, I expect the player might be convinced to simply have his character live in southern Louisiana. In that case, I expect that Atchafalaya Basin might be the best location. Are there any parts of it that are incredibly inaccessible and inconvenient to visit, with small communities that rarely, if ever, receive outside visitors?

*Which seems to involve a laissez-faire attitude toward responsibility, a strict policy of live-and-let-live toward the 'gubmint', especially as regards taxation, which they regard as one of those things you can take or leave and they'd rather leave it, a complex favor economy within the family and little actual currency changing hands, an aversion to formal education and working 9-5, and a fondness for hunting and fishing, making everything that won't crawl out of a pot into gumbo or grilling it and having a fais-do-do at every opportunity.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote