View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #39
wellspring

Default Re: [SE] Sanitized Metabolism: how useful is +1 in in 'close confines', like 'elevato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Ah okay. I admit I was defaulting to a "D and D" type environment not something modern or futuristic. Not sure why I do that. I haven't even played D and D much at all for decades.
I'm playing a first ed game right now so it's freshest in my mind. But you're right that modern/scifi games tend to have better hygiene. Which fits with gritty realism but not the cinematic Orlando Bloomesque elven experience many of my players visualize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
You know, your post (and a few others) have got me thinking...

What if we grant everyone a +1 reaction bonus if they make a point out of "cleaning up." Right? Like your character has freshly showered and is wearing fresh clothes and put on a bit of deo, brushed their teeth, etc. You might give them a +1 under those circumstances, provided it's appropriate to the circumstances. That seems like a reasonable course of action, if a bit of a simplification.

Sanitized Metabolism, then, becomes a sort of exotic version of a SOP: "Assume I am always clean." The character always gets the +1 in circumstances where being well-groomed and freshly bathed would apply a +1, even if they wouldn't have access to the materials needed to clean themselves (because they are naturally clean and pleasant smelling).

I think I could run it that way.
That's how I use it already. I suppose you could give people a -1 unless they washed up immediately before, but as a rule I'm against Advantages that introduce new penalties or perils and then you buy the advantage to exempt yourself out. The way you wrote it seems perfect.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote