View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #19
jason taylor

Default Re: High Wis Low Int character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
I'm having a really difficult time coming up with a fictional character (other than the previously mentioned Forest Gump) who likely fits this.
Sam Gamgee(or is he average int, average wis?), Farmer Maggot?, Aesop? Hesiod(if the last two are fictional)?

Really most non-adventurous Hobbits, who have no vice worse then Gluttony or Sloth have only enough Avarice to service the first two and certainly never heard about Libido Dominandi until Saruman showed up.

In a war story or sea story, the classic salty non-com is uneducated but wise in his trade. In Glory, I'm not sure if Rawlins qualifies; Mulacahy does, for as nasty and possibly racist as he is he knows what is needed to prepare his men even if he is uneducated in other terms. Marmaduke Merry the Midshipman(that is so obscure it would be by chance if you had read it and is certainly not the same as Mr Midshipman Easy) had a bosun that was kind of like that. It's been a long time since I saw Glory or read the other two though. That kind of non-com is going out of style in more modern shows reflecting the more choosy recruiters. The American sonarman on the sub trailing the Red October was an honest-to-goodness nerd and intelligent whether or not he was wise.

Last edited by jason taylor; 05-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote