View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
Tomsdad

Default Re: How to give fatigue points more meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Jumping length calculation without some exponenetiation and at least basic trigonometry doesn't pass the reality sniff test, and yet 'we' use linear calculations of jump heights and breadths. Because to do otherwise would drastically reduce playability.
I'm not sure how relevant that is to the basic premise of reducing how hard you hit or how much you can bench press or carry on you back when you are tired?

I mean yes I get that you referencing the non linear way ST relates to Lifting (BL) and applied force in damage. But it seems a pretty abstract point to say "and that's why we can't do this" over.

If nothing else if your going to cite the needs of playability and the difficulties of having linear reductions in ST having non linear effects on ST application. I can just as easily say well your right, but for playability reasons I'm not going to worry about just like we don't for jumping.

Now I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not increasing fatigue causes reduction in facility to express linearly or non-linearly*. However if you did want to take that into account with last gasp rules you could instead of reducing ST and then recalculating BL and damage from the reduced ST stat, just apply the gradual percentage reduction direct to BL and damage scores if you wanted.

So for instance instead of ST10 (so BL20) having a 10% reduction to ST9 (and so BL16 a 20% drop) once FP had dropped to 4/5ths you could just drop ST to 9 and then directly apply the 10% drop to BL20, giving you BL18.

However its more fiddly so your point about playability come in I guess.

*because frankly that's a big subject and involves stuff way out of the scope of GURPS (and my knowledge!), and no matter what it is it's not like RAW in campaigns is going to be a better match anyway

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-10-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote