View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #30
Tinman

Default Re: [DF] Turning bodies to loot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There you go right there. The rules for Halal food are (basically) a subset of the rules for Kosher food; the rules for Kosher food have extra restrictions not applied to Halal, I think most dramatically the rules about dairy products[1] but there are other details. When one is 100% a subset of the other, that's a lot of similarity.
Bruno, I think you misunderstand me.
Quote:
When one is 100% a subset of the other, that's a lot of similarity.
That's true, but Halal is not a 100% subset of Kashrut. It has 1 law in common. The prohibition on Pig products (though for very different reasons), and a vague similarity in the specifics of the slaughter.
Hardly a 100% subset only 2 data points.
Like saying the Union Jack & The US flag look alike 'Cause they share the same colors, One's red, white & blue and is all stripes. The other's red white & blue and has stars & stripes, One is a 100% subset of the other?

I grew up an Orthodox Jew, so I know the laws of Kashrut.
My understanding of Halal slaughter is:
1) Beast's throat must be cut (no laws on how) &
2) Allahu Akbar must be said as it's done.
That's about all it takes.

Sharing, a throat must be cut (but the methodology is not the same) and, One animal forbidden by Islam in common is not "a lot" of similarity.

Quote:
[1] You're not allowed to mix dairy products and meat - an extension from the prohibition against cooking a calf in its mother's milk. Under the more strict guidelines you can't even risk proximity contamination by eating two contrasting meals with the same utensils;
That's not it. Because the materials are porous "dairy particles" infuse the utensils. (Note that glass is exempt from this, as it's not porous.) That's why they have two sets of cooking pots ect, as well as dishes & cutlery.

Quote:
There's an accepted amount of heat and washing to "sterilize" implements from this "contamination" but it's considered prudent to just avoid the possibility.
Partly that, but that much heat may well destroy certain utensils & as it's necessary to "re-sterilize" for each meat/dairy meal change it would become a massive pin in the A**! Much easier to have two sets of dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think most dramatically the rules about dairy products
I think the amount & types of animals forbidden to be eaten by Kashrut & all the laws on how it's allowed to be prepared is about equally dramatic.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote