View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #193
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
I believe it should be pretty obvious at this point that I'm 99% fine with the game as is.

As for armor and strength... realistically, I can't say that I've ever felt too weak to wear a particular type of armor, but I have felt slowed by it, sometimes considerably.
Yeah, presumably lower strength would generally equate to smaller size. Which would equate to lighter armor. I've never worn armor or engaged in swordfights (other than a few months of Kendo lessons in 1984), but I did spend 8 years learning Taekwondo (Moo Duk Kwan and Sang Moo Kwan, 1977-1985).

When I started, no one wore pads, cups or mouth guards, except in tournaments. But in 1982 or so, my instructor started requiring us to wear pads, including head gear. All of which he sold :) They were either dense foam or cloth covered bamboo.

I hated them.

It wasn't so much the weight, but rather that the leg pads slowed my kicks down enough to affect my sparring. Also, the headgear interfered with my peripheral vision just enough that my blocks were't quite as effective. I don't recall specifically, but I imagine that my head didn't turn quite as fast either. In general, I felt sluggish. The groin cup also slowed my kicks down slightly. I don't recall the gloves slowing my punches down interestingly. Oh, and the torso padding was hot, though in an air conditioned dojang, that was only an issue after you'd been going a long time.

So I complained and my instructor had us spar each other, 1 in pads, 1 not in pads. With me in pads, my unpadded opponent beat me pretty easily, and vice versa. The combination of my sluggishness, impairment of peripheral vision and heat was just enough that he could out fight me. Normally, we were about equal in ability.

Assuming armor is similar, it may not be the weight so much as it is the restricted movement and reduction in peripheral vision. So, based on my experiences, I never had a problem with the DX penalty for armor. And I really don't think that training would've made that much of a difference. If I got faster in pads, I'd also have gotten faster without pads.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote