View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #50
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Question about cutting a throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
As a GM, I'd probably say 'yeah, he can't talk', but I'd rather see explicit mention of that.
Ah. The purpose of rules is not always to be so explicit. In many cases, the author is trying to provide some narrative or descriptive structure, and that is all. If it were as explicit as some would like, it would need to say whether this worked against other structures, you know, beyond the human mouth: mandibles, beaks, tentacled orifice, etc., and so on. Further, I'm not sure it would totally silence the victim. It expect their might be gurgling, hissing, groaning, etc. How loud? Well, that's another paragraph. Sometimes, because of word count or even authorial focus, you just can't/won't outline every possible nuance.That's why the GM exists.

Quote:
True enough. Do you disagree that it would make sense for a knife swing to the neck to be easier if you've already grappled a target's jaw than if you just tried swinging from behind, though? Isn't part of the point of grabbing the guy's jaw to make it easier to hit the neck? I'd like to see rules for this (though, as I've mentioned, I dabbled with a house rule that doing so halves the hit location penalty).
I don't think that has precedent in GURPS. By being grappled you suffer reduced defenses at some point; I'm not sure if by grappling someone you get extra damage or an easier chance to hit.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote