View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #45
trooper6

Default Re: Question about cutting a throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Huh. Hadn't noticed that.

Still, it's lacking rules that say 'grappling the jaw means you can't speak', which is what I was saying. RAW GURPS has no way of silencing your victim - he'll shout out, which is something you can do if you are mentally stunned (which involves taking the Do Nothing maneuver, which allows speech). Wouldn't be very realistic if surprise or fear would mean you can't scream, since surprise and fear resulting in screaming is pretty much exactly what happens in real life.

So, yes, it takes a while to kill a guy in real life - that's fine, but he can still yell for help even though his neck was just cut in half, and he'll still take forever to die from blood loss even in the worst possible situation.

Also: I had thought a large knife was something a bit bigger than a combat knife (more along the lines of a machete), hence why I used a small knife in my example.

The All-Out Grapple and Strike maneuver (which I had completely missed) also looks like it'll be much more useful for this.

Anyways, if grappling the jaw actually silenced opponents, and if ST really should impact knife damage that much (which I'm simply dubious about, unless strong people utilize different techniques from weaker people), then all right, sentry removal isn't as badly done in GURPS as I had thought. I still think that you should get a bonus to hit a location that you've immobilized via grappling, that severe bleeding is too slow, and that there should be some mention in the RAW that grappling the jaw silences a person.
To address the issues in your last paragraph:

GURPS does have a way to silence your opponent. RAW, both choke hold and face grapple silence opponents. Please see Martial Arts: Fairbairn Close Combat Systems pg 11.

Regarding a bonus to hit a location that you've immobilized via grappling. What you get is that your opponent gets penalties to defense (or if you've grappled from the rear, no defenses at all). This means that you can use Telegraphic Attacks for +4 to hit with little consequence.

ST matters, it makes the difference on if you can get through muscle and sinew, or if your cuts are shallow. But let's give your soldier ST12 holding a Large Knife (1d-1imp/1dswing). And a Very Fine Knife (+2), Either using Smash and Grab or Mighty Blows Extra Effort for (+2), and if thrusting using a Reversed Grip for +1.

So, that is 1d+4imp or 1d+4cut on Neck Arteries....which has a x2.5 damage modifier.

So if you roll a 3 on that 1d, you are looking at 17hp damage. If you roll a 4 on that 1d, you are looking at 24hp damage.

For all the average sort of sentry you are attacking--
1) They are at less than 0 hp and must make an HT roll to avoid Unconsciousness. If they fail, they are out and are going to die from blood loss.
2) On a roll of 4+ for that damage, they are also at -HT hp and need to make a Death Roll...which if they fail means instant death.
3) This is a Major Wound. So they must make an HT roll to avoid Knockdown and Stunning.
4) If using all the Bleeding rules, then this person is bleeding out and will die without surgery. So they are going to die.

So you have a very good chance of knocking the person out in one second if not killing them. If you don't get them down in the first second, in the second second, a rapid strike should do it.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote