View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #264
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Semi-disposable cork but plates, leather you have mentioned but maybe laminated or stuffed with horse hair or wool. Another possibility would be complex basket weaves of hemp/sisal/linen rope. Oilskin or oiled canvas with padding.
All good ideas. Oilskin might risk slipping off the armour, though.

Quote:
A more complex leaf spring maybe, torsion and compression springs for that matter.
Probably too expensive and much trouble for the minimal benefit. Useful spring steel is very expensive in the setting, especially as it has a major military purpose, it cannot be made by local craftsmen in the area and there is a war on.

Quote:
Alternatively padding could be part of a soldier/sailor/marine's uniform.
I like that. A strengthened leather patch on the shoulder for firing a fusil or musket could be part of the arming vest of marines and soldiers. Also, adding extra padding to one point on the arming vest should be trivial.

Would it be worth having a leather pad on the buttstock of a standard musket in addition to strengthening armour to deal with recoil? It's probably not a huge expense, so if it doesn't interfere with using it, I think I'd rather do that as well. After all, not all PCs wear armour on the shoulders and they might like to borrow armaments from their men.