View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Mercator

Default Re: Homegrown fantasy setting in classical Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer
Regarding your question about god-granted magic, I've tended to follow the advice that you create a list of spells for each god out of the regular spell lists, and then followers can take any of these without need for pre-requisites, which is balanced by only being able to take spells that are on the short-list.
Plus the spells can be revoked, inverted, boosted or manipulated at any time by the GM, because, as Asta Kask mentioned, the Gods are fickle (ask around in the Trojan battlefield and you'll see...). I like it.

Quote:
I've been doing similar things in my own fantasy Europe; for the time being, my campaign is focused in Viking Scandinavia, but I'm slowly building the background info on Anglo-Saxon England, Carolingian Frankia, Republican Rome, Classical Greece, pre-Ptolemaic Egypt, and an Arabian-Nights-esque Persian Middle East, for when my PC's start roaming further afield.
Your project looks much more ambitious than mine. Since this is the first contact with GURPS both for me and my player group, I want to start simple and expand it later if the players want to go on.

Quote:
In my Greece, on the other hand, the priesthoods have generally focused on serving the gods and left mortal matters to others[...]

Hope you find this ramble interesting, and possibly of some help in your own world.
(Copy-paste, copy-paste) I definitely found it very interesting. I have to think about how to integrate all this with my ideas: I had also thought about incorporating Mr. Aristocles to the mix as a powerful magician/priest, so I will definitely incorporate your post in that regard. Consider your ideas stolen and moved to my Quality File ;-).