View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #14
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Submit Errata for e23 In Nomine products

Note: Essence point/notpoint moved to possible TSI errata, retained mostly so that I don't have to stamp out the "this is not used in the game-world when so much of the specialized terminology IS" term in new authors later.

Does anyone have any further true errata for it? I may well bundle it up sometime during Christmas break, and send poor Scott a present.

Note got used for dissonance, so I'm leery to re-use it for Essence.
Drop is certainly useful for being useful in in-game conversation, but doesn't fit the musical metaphors of dissonance/Discord/note/Symphony. Mind, neither do Essence or Forces.

In in-game, a unit of Essence would be discovered as "the least amount of Essence you can use to power a Song, that Song taking the least amount of Essence of all Songs." (E.g., a 1 Essence-requiring Song, rather than something which always takes 3 Essence.) They'd discover that it would map to the number of Forces which an Archangel (or Prince) could perceive the celestial to possess. (Heck, they could make one special for the experiment. "Hello, I am Essence Measuring Container Five, Elohite Songmaster of Lightning.")

...if I were re-doing it from scratch, I'd probably call Essence "Breath," and poke around Forces a fair amount, with "Harmonies" coming to mind. Alas, alack. (Then again, isn't Essence the French for Gasoline? And everyone knows Air is a Gas, and people Breathe Air, so... I'll just be over here trying to keep a straight face. And hopefully not statting up Essence Measuring Container Five. (EMC5!))