View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #24
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: What sort of society do you get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do think that Mind Reading would probably work better for a society than Telesend. I think that Telesend would result in a race of homicidal loners while Mind Reading would result in a gregarious and truthful race (the latter gives you a reason to trust people while the former is like having every pretentious and narcissistic vlog on Earth broadcasting into your mind). An entire race with Mind Reading would likely have Charitable, Easy to Read, Gregarious, Honesty, and Truthfulness because no one expects deception and unlawful behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Mind Reading - Always On would be no different in regards to your vlog analogy and I don't want it to be selective. Pretty sure that mind readers will learn how to shield thoughts or be intricately deceptive with them. GURPS wise I would need to tear out a lot of the expected back and forth with attempts to read minds rather than using Telesend's Broadcasting. If Mind Reading is automatic it really changes nothing but complicates play.

I will have to think on what it would take to mitigate the Telesend. Drugs, meditative practices, Will rolls? And does that reduce the range to a minimum or actually create a non-emotional state?

I think that the response to knowing that people are having a rough time is for those around them to step in early and help mitigate it even if it is just to comfort the heart-broken not flee from it or want to murder them. I also think that the institutions of society would be different with more of a "We are all in this together" attitude rather than Social Darwinism and stratification of society so that the systems in the society don't chew people up and make more misery. Hmmm principles of such a system? Create the most joy for the greatest number ?
Returning to the idea of Telesend versus Mind Reading, will this race come into contact with others? Telesend would project to everyone, including others, but they wouldn't feel the feelings of others. With Mind Reading, it would be flipped. Others wouldn't know their feelings, but they would still be able to know the feelings of others.

Unless I missed something, which I may have in skimming.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote