View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #29
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I rolled a 12. I stay up. I think requiring AP for rolls to keep your balance is a little excessive.
The approach is basically "require 1 AP for any roll where a technique can substitute (ie "roll vs Kicking or DX") unless it is listed as 0-cost or recovery".

Personally, when I throw a kick intending to hit an object and end up not hitting it and having my balance thrown off and nearly fall down, avoiding doing so feels a lot more exhausting an time-consuming than the act of throwing in the first place :)

In the case of Stamp Kick, I guess I would lack precedent to charge 1 AP as it says "make a DX roll" not "roll vs Stamp Kick or DX".

Quote:
parry has -5, but dodge would only receive -1 (deceptive is only -1 for -2)
Right you are, I goofed there.

Quote:
and both could get +3 from a retreat, with parry having a generic +1.
I think it's something like dodges always get +3, parries usually +1 but boxing/judo/karate/fencing get +3 on retreating parries. MA124 suggests reducing 3 to 1 if using a dive/roll instead of a step, and to apply dodge-only penalties to these retreating parries.

If I could think of a way to fairly implement it I would love to try out http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/Rolepla...d-Defense.html to guard my legs but that requires a way to state intent hidden from player which you would only reveal to them if they pass a skill check with a bonus equal to the defense bonus you go for... but you would want transparency for those statements of intent for after they had chosen which area to attack to verify that you deserve a bonus for that location...

- - -

you're at 4/10 I'm at 5/12 now that my shock is worn off I'm going to take a normal Attack maneuver. I'm going to be making a (cinematic, at default) Dual Weapon Attack: Left Punch + Right punch.

Strangely, while "Deny Left" option of Focused Defense in Gladiators 21 gives +1/-1 with right/left parries, it doesn't appear to bonus/penalize attacks done with those limbs...

However I do suffer the usual -4 to skill (and -2 to ST = -1 to dmg, "Strong and Weak Hands" MA124) meaning that my punches at at 14-4=10 and 14-8=6 to hit (DWA, unlike Deceptive Attack, seems like it can reduce effective skill below 10)

That seems really likely to miss though and I don't like that so I'm going to make these both Telegraphic Attacks at +4 and give you a +2 to defend against them,

Normally an attack maneuver costs 1 AP but abiding by realism on P44p9 "Maneuvers vs. Actions" going to apply 2 AP reducing me to 3/12 AP.

You are at -1 to defend against both of these attacks (split attention) reducing your bonus to defend against the telegraphic attacks from +2 to +1. You must do separate defenses against both of them since you lack a 2-handed weapon. If you use the same defense, remember to apply cumulative -4 per parry using same arm, a -2 if parrying using your off hand, or -1 per extra dodge.

Right hand punch random location: 11 = Abdomen, roll on sub-table E, rolled a 3 so I'm targetting your digestive tract. Rolling against 14 to hit... got a 13, it's a hit.

Left hand punch random hit location: 8 = Right Arm, roll on sub-table C, rolled a 5, your Upper Arm, no special effects. Roll to hit = 5/10, successful.

I'll wait to see how your defenses go before rolling damage. All of them get the +1 from One Foe and the +2 against Telegraphic Attacks and the -1 againt Dual Weapon Attacks for a net +2 to your base scores, plus possible bonuses if you retreat or use AD-specific options like Cross Parry or Acrobatic Dodge
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote