View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
mehrkat

Default Re: What makes a good villain?

A villain is essentially a foil for the PC's action. A villain becomes memorable by how they interact with the PC. I'm not a gigantic fan of reoccurring villains. That doesn't mean that a villain can't have a slowly discovered plan that builds (admittedly I use this all the time) nor does it mean that a villain doesn't occasionally escape a couple of times due to planning or die rolls.

I have a few special scenes and villains involved.
1. Bessie the Cow. -- We had powerful warriors traveling in a spaceship looking for a safe place to store their spaceship and asked only one thing by the owner of the barn before leaving the ship in the barn. Please don't frighten my cow. At the end of that little scene they had slunk away in defeat and promised to never again try to hide in a barn.
2. Beliz. A World of Darkness Vampires game. A demon had bespelled them in a truly horrific way and was making them hunt the world for the Book of Creation. They were only able to survive due to the help of Lucifier who for reasons of his own supported them in their efforts to succeed. The hatred they felt for Beliz and the fear the felt at Lucifer being their only hope was beautiful to behold.
3. The Demon. A naked demon whose enjoyment of battle was mighty and obvious to behold described with glee. He mostly casually ignored the more squishy members of the party to fight the incredible warriors. But when he would have a moment in the crazed battle he would slash out at one of the squishies and leave them bleeding. One of the squishies got his attention by removing his joy in battle. He used all of his battle powerress and focused on her for a moment and slashed her open from leg to neck. She was saved only by a divine miracle.
4. The Demonlich. A plotting demongod reduced to a skull who could communicate with his minions and used them to gather the Cauldron (inspired by the Black Cauldron)
5. Lightfingers -- a half goblin thief with trap making abilities that always included the most memorable and painful ways to make the traps. To stop them from chasing them a spring loaded hook in the floor designed to shoot through your foot and pull tight. When that shot through one of the pc's foot they had to choose whether to help him out (when they were in a hurry or chase him). They hated that little thief so much.