View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
b-dog

Default Re: [DF] Planes vs Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I like the idea of "other dimensions", but I like to keep in mind the idea of them as different "directions". Basically no one "lives" in a dimension - it'd be like saying you lived in "depth"; everything except hypothetical Flatlanders do that! Some entities may be able traverse higher dimensions as easily we can traverse our own (in fact, flying animals are much better at the third dimension than we are); we could call that "living in that higher dimension (as opposed to having your position in it be a static fact that you take for granted). Alternatively, a being "living in a higher dimension" might simply be in a different position in that dimension, perhaps even a small distance, and able to "coexist" in the "same space" as you, in the same way an upstairs apartment "exists in the same space" as the ones beneath it... as long as you ignore the 3rd dimension.

Then again, "dimension" has acquired a lot of all-over-the-place slang meaning in sci-fi and in culture in general. In mathematics, there is even the idea of fractional or fractal dimensions, which may well turn out to have physical meaning and usefulness.
The idea of other dimensions for me is that other dimensions are "natural" while planes are supernatural. The Elder Things defy understanding and can live in other dimensions of reality that mankind can not comprehend. The Elder Things in my DF world are as natural as water and stone and are the sad truth of reality that man was not meant to know. On the other-hand, planes are supernatural other worlds that are connected to the dimension that humans and other mortals live in and mortal beings have meaning to the beings in other planes. Humans have no meaning to the Elder Things of other dimensions however as they are but food to them. In short, beings from other planes are spiritual in nature while Elder Things are mundane but living in dimensions that man does not know of.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote