View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Arith Winterfell

Default Making Thaumatology Sorcery feel academic

First, I want to say I really like the Sorcery system that has come out of Thaumatology: Sorcery and I picked up the book as soon as I found out about its release.

However, I'm looking to use the system for Mages/Wizards in my setting, in essence I want to make Sorcery more academic and occult knowledge flavored while still keeping the wonderful mechanics of the current Sorcery system.

So basically I imagine things in terms of my fictional setting that some people are born with magical talents and the ability to create magical effects (spells) innately, but it takes learning to master these skills.

I also want to capture the sense of occult knowledge, hidden secrets, etc. So that sorcerer characters can find hidden texts, forgotten books sealed away in lost tombs, etc and be rewarded by being able to learn spells from such lore (of course still spending character points on it and all).

In short I'm trying to use the sorcery mechanics, but make things feel closer to the academic focused D&D style wizard. However, I'm unsure how to approach things in order to get that feel or flavor for my setting's sorcerers. Any suggestions or ideas on how to do this?

Is it a question of tweaking the sorcerer mechanics? Or perhaps a question of surrounding flavor (e.g. skills sorcerers take alongside spells)? Or is it a question of non-mechanical flavor in how they are portrayed in the setting itself?
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote