View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #108
whswhs

Default Re: Space Opera vs Hard Sci-Fi, personal vs realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I think the answer is probably obvious yet not acceptable to most: there is no "self", as such. We know the brain has to do stuff in order to create the idea and experience of a continuous self. This goes wrong in conditions like Cotard's Syndrome (or Delusion, if you like, although that word is more judgemental). Numerous dissociative states, some functional, some wildly dysfunctional, some subtle, and some wildly obvious (D.I.D., dissociative amnesia and fugues) exist which show that the so-called normal "healthy" state of integration of personality, thoughts, emotions, memory, and physical sensations require the brain to do stuff in order to create this idea of the unified "self" (and I'm not convinced that this is a necessarily healthy state, this total integration, just a socially desirable and useful state... I'd advocate pursuing a high degree of dissociation).

If they copied "you" into another medium (biological or technological), but didn't shut you down first (perhaps, by "killing" you), then you'd perceive an identical personality but a different person, not you. In fact, in all ways that count, the moment that the two entities started having different experiences, they'd be two different but very very similar persons. If they knocked you out to scan you or they destructively scanned you and then created the copy, and then destroyed your body, we could say that the new thing was "you". Heck, even if we made the copy, left it shut down, let you live in your current body for a year, then destroyed you and your body, and then switched it on, well, isn't that "you" but with a year's permanent amnesia?
So let me put it this way. If you have perceived the other entity, and then I step up to you with an injector filled with a lethal drug, and tell you what it is, presumably you're going to anticipate final loss of consciousness, never followed by regaining consciousness; you may dread it, or be indifferent to it, or even long for it, but you're going to anticipate that that fading of awareness as your brain shuts down will be the last thing you'll ever experience. Yes?

So why does it make a difference if I wait to activate the other entity until after your brain shuts down?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote