View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #15
wmervine4

Default Re: What sort of computer game suits GURPS best?

This gets me thinking, maybe one of the questions behind the question is what sort of computer game would feel the most GURPS-y?

I think we can all agree that GURPS handles tactical combat situations very well and has a greater level of optional detail (via rules) than many video games. Some of the core questions here are, do these optional rules add value or fun to the game? Do the rules help convey the feel of the setting? Do the rules bring focus or a feeling of importance to activities important to the player? I think these questions and their answers are similar to what a GM would ask themselves when considering whether to include a new rule in their game or not. For a video game featuring arena combat or small scale tactical battles on a hex grid, the rules for facing; movement points; hit locations; telegraphic, deceptive, committed, and defensive attacks; and techniques from Martial Arts would be far more important to include than the rules for gadgeteering, TLs, Legality Class, and Status. Not that the less important things couldn't be included and be appropriate, but the LC of a weapon typically wouldn't matter while in a tactical battle.

While GURPS could certainly be the engine behind an FPS game, you have to wonder why a game developer would want to do this as opposed to just making something up that is easier to code. Even though die rolls wouldn't be front and center in a typical FPS game, there are certainly GURPS rules that could make for a more immersive, detailed video game experience, which would appeal to a certain crowd.

Sometimes examples help so let's look at a typical lockpicking scenario in an FPS game. Lockpicking in some games (e.g., Skyrim) is handled as a mini-game where you have to rotate a tool around the lock with one hand while turning a tool inserted into the lock with the other hand. The action stops around the player while this occurs (in combat a foe is effectively frozen in time). If we GURPS-ified this scenario, it might look more like this. Is it dark? If so, take -5 to skill for working by touch. Does the character have the appropriate tools? Apply Equipment Modifiers (B345) as appropriate. Make the skill roll to see if the lock could be picked. If successful, the lock opens in 1 minute - 5 seconds per point of success. The timing bit would probably have to be accelerated for an FPS game, but you get the gist. Adding this level of detail could add a bit of depth and excitement not typically associated with lockpicking. "Argh. My lockpicks are damaged, it's pitch dark in here, and I hear some creature stomping down the hallway towards me. Do I have enough time to pick open this lock so I can get out of here?" Yeah, I'd play that. :-)

Even looking at GURPS core gameplay, the simple mechanic of critical failure, failure, success, critical success, and margin of failure/victory can add depth to video games that is typically not there. Sure, a lot of games have the idea of critical hits, but these typically just do more damage and have no other effects. I can't recall ever seeing anything like critical failures implemented in a meaningful way in a video game. GURPS gives us plenty of handy tables to help describe a variety of possible outcomes that would add depth to many video games' current approach of hit, miss, hit, ad nauseam.

Maybe I'm a minority, but I've often felt like video games are too simplistic and repetitive at times. Adding some GURPS complexity could make many video games feel more realistic, detailed, and consequently fun.
wmervine4 is offline   Reply With Quote