View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
clu2415

Default Re: [Magic] Enchanting and Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Assuming this is what I think it is about, and you are just wanting to claim a +4 bonus for enchanting something in a non-combat situation, then no RAW that bonus does not exist. This is true of any rule written for situations that basically never happen under life threatening conditions - you don't get a +4 for making all Research or inventing or non-combat influence rolls - though there is some disagreement about job rolls. That +4 is a patch for pure combat skills imposed to make tournament or recreational shooting results better match reality that's somehow gotten generalized, it's not intended for rules that weren't written with a risk of death in mind.

If you really insisted, you could impose a -4 to the "normal" difficulty of all those tasks and claim the offsetting +4 almost all the time, but generally it makes more sense to write rules for the normal conditions you use the skill under - and [impose a penalty | give a bonus] for the rare case you would be using them [under stress | in perfectly safe conditions], and that's how most of the rules were originally written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B171
In nonadventuring situations when you have lots of time to prepare and face minimal risk, the GM may give you +4 or more to skill.
Doesn't say anything about "pure combat" skills. I would imagine that enchanting is complex and subtle, i.e. does not qualify for the mundane +4. Then again, maybe an experienced, professional item enchanter does it often enough to qualify.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote