View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Mailanka

Default Re: Converting Cabal spirits to 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
Perception seems simple enough. They have Empathy, Detect (Supernatural beings), and the perk "Can hear own name being spoken anywhere" from Horror (pg. 78).
I had...

Spirit Sight [5]
  • Empathy (Based on Perception +20%, Spirit -10%) [15]
  • Detect (Supernatural Beings; Spirit -10%) [18]
  • Blindness (Mitigator: Mana -60%) [-20]
  • Numb (Mitigator: Mana -60%) [-8]

The idea here was that they can only touch you/see you if mana allows it. It also means that if you ward yourself, they can no longer see or touch/feel you. This does not prevent them from hearing/smelling you. Thus, if you're standing in a protective circle, hold your breath and be very still!

I also had the perk you mentioned.

Quote:
Communication seems to me to be that spirits have both Mind Reading, probably limited with the Telecommunication limitation, and Telecommunication (Telesend) advantages.
I had...

Spirit Communication (-1 per hex) [36]
Mind Reading [30] (18)
  • Projected Thoughts ony -20%, [-6]
  • Spirit -10%, [-3]
  • Short Range 1 -10% [-3]
Telesend [30] (18)
  • Fatigue 1pS -10% [-3]
  • Spirit -10% [-3]
  • Short Range 2 -20% [-6]

They need to be fairly close to make it work, and they can only read what you're deliberately thinking. That is, you can sort of sub-vocalize towards them and they will know, but they won't pick up every stray thought, or dig deep into your psyche

Quote:
Dream Travel is one of the first major stops for me. At first, I thought it was something like Jumper (Dream World), but now I'm not so sure. Cabal says on pg. 95 that the spirit can communicate with the person whose dream they have entered (which they can already do via their telecommunication) and, at worst, give that person a Fright Check from a nightmare. I suppose this is best represented as Terror, Active with some Accessibility limitation for being "Only in dreams." Does that sound correct to you?
See my powers notes.

Quote:
Possession is mostly the Possession advantage, except that Cabal spirits have a much smaller time limit, which can vary by spending more FP and taking a minus to their Will roll. I'm not sure exactly how to model that.
See my powers notes.

Quote:
The Poltergeist Effect would appear to be easiest to model as Telekinesis with Variable and a variable Costs Fatigue limitation.
See my powers notes.

Quote:
Probability Alteration is difficult for me because I don't know how to model it without making a complicated grouping of Afflictions (Luck, Unluckiness, etc.). I'm not aware of a system in 4e that lets you modify rolls like this power is written up.
See my powers notes.

Quote:
Materialization is mostly covered by the Insubstantial and Invisibility advantages. However, spirits are able to create sounds at varying fatigue costs. I think this implies Cannot Speak (Insubstantial only), but how to represent the ability to spend fatigue to make sounds? They're also able to change their visible forms, which sounds like Morph (Cosmetic) to me.
I had...

Insubstantial (80) [40]
  • Always On -50% [-40]
Invisibility (40) [34]
  • Substantial Only -10% [-4]
  • Visible Reflections (Sensitive people only) -5% [-2]

I also made them homogenous, etc, because if they do fully materialize, they won't behave like normal people. They're not living flesh, they're sort of condensed ectoplasm or... something. Also note that I have a few additional powers.

My assumption was largely that not every spirit will work the same way. I wanted a grab bag of tricks.

Quote:
Last, spirits in Cabal do not have Unaging from the default Spirit metatrait. They have to roll once per month, modified by various circumstances, or lost an HT until they hit 0 and die. Is this sufficiently represented by Short Lifespan 4?
I went ahead and gave them unaging. You may have a point, though.

I'd also recommend Horror and Monster Hunters for additional insights in how to handle spirits.