View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Manycubes

Default Re: Gear rich, money poor

Just give the character the equipment and then start imposing Disadvantages to it until you’re satisfied.

For instance the Millennium Falcon had “Enemy” Hut bounty hunters\creditors were after it. The “Cursed” disadvantage as it became unreliable at the most inopportune times ("Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!"), and the “Unique” (I don’t have a definition of this one so I am just assuming) disadvantage ("I've made a lot of special modifications myself.")

You could probably add “Age” (increased maintenance cost), “Appearance” (“She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.”) and “Reputation” (First as a smuggler ship, and later as a known rebel ship).
I’d create at least one new disadvantage called “Coveted” ” (“You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs." “Let’s steal it”). I’m sure others could think of more.

Serenity had similar problems.

You could do this with any extraordinary piece of equipment, thus providing balance as well as springboards for even more interesting storylines.
Manycubes is offline   Reply With Quote