View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #40
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Generate a Space Trader Setting

I've been thinking about how to handle the jump drive, and I think this concept mostly covers what has been established or suggested so far. I'll use spoiler blocks to improve readability and so it's not so wall-of-text-ish. Also, I broke the forum post length limit- I've never managed that before.

What do you think?

Part One
Hyperplasma Conduit Jump Drive
This is a version of the Keyhole Drive type explained on Space p39, except that it needs to include the 'random divergence with range' condition proposed by ericthered. How about if, in the 7-dimensional spacetime manifold utilised by the drive, gravity becomes a repulsive force?

Basic Concept
So, the drive creates a beam of charged hyperspace plasma that it shoots along its destination vector. This looks like the streamers that come off a plasma ball- straight and direct near the root, but splaying around randomly like silly string at the tips. The hyperplasma beam makes a pathway through space, in generally the right direction, but is repulsed and deviated by gravitational sources along its path. This means that being in orbit of a large body can severely deviate the beam path at the outset, so jumping out from a point with a flat gravitational gradient is preferred- such as an L4 or L5. It also means you can't directly jump to a destination which is locally occulted by a planet or star, or to destinations on the far side of the galactic core. The beam channel takes a number of minutes to establish before it's ready to receive the ship.

Next, the ship's drive system creates a magnetic field surrounding the ship which couples with the mouth of the plasma conduit. The interaction of the magnetic field with the plasma expands the plasma conduit and draws the ship along, propelling it along like squeezing a cherry pip. Observers near the ship's departure see a bright flash of light, extending through UV and X-rays, with a ghostly red-shifted attenuated afterimage streak pointing along the ship's flight vector. Passengers on board the ship are subjected to an initial jolt of several G's, then a few hours of a rather bumpy ride as the ship traverses the snaking, winding conduit to their destination.

Construction
The ship's drive has 4 components.
Spoiler:  

Game Effects of this Jump Drive
So with this paradigm, we get a number of consequences and answer many of the questions posed thus far:
Plotting a Course
Spoiler:  

Continued next post...
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote