View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
malloyd

Default Re: Talents & Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
I'd probably just straight-up make it a talent, without sticking the limitations you listed on it. Make it 5/level for any one martial art, maybe 10/level for 2-3 martial arts styles, 15/level for all martial arts. Applies only if you have the right Style Familiarity. Applies to all primary and optional skills, and therefore to any techniques built off of them. At first glance, that doesn't seem unbalanced. Reaction bonus is to fellow stylists, no alternate benefit. It would make styles more attractive, too.
A talent for "all martial arts" makes me very nervous. Given that a martial art template might include just about anything, you could arguably claim that bonus to any skill whatsoever - just because there isn't a template in Martial Arts for something that includes Artist (Cartooning) or Mechanics (Light Airplane) doesn't mean there isn't a martial art that does *somewhere*.

But a Talent that includes a bunch of skills that occur in a lot of arts seems pretty reasonable to me. It has a clear theme, lots of fictional martial artists seem to be pretty good at lots of them or at related physical stuff not specifically included in their supposed art, and there might even be some realistic logic to it as a subset of DX. Certainly that's as good a justification as a lot of Talents. Call it Acrobatics, Boxing, Brawling, Dancing, Escape, Feats of Strength, Judo, Jumping, Karate, Sumo and Wrestling, 10 points/level, and throw in their Sport forms for free.