Thread: Un-nerfed Mages
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #50
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Un-nerfed Mages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog

That leads to a question - do you need to have the FP to cast a spell if it wasn't a critical success before you can try and cast it?
I would say so. I would treat it like being in a region of very high mana: you "get the energy back" after the fact but you still have to spend it in the first place. I would rule that if a spell ends up being cast for free thanks to a critical success -- be that due to a natural die roll, an application of Super Luck, or spending character points -- then you should assess the effects of the energy expenditure on the caster and on the spell, and then restore the caster's energy levels to status quo ante. That said . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog

I'm sure this is a campaign decision, but is the original intent of the rules to allow you to try a spell that you can't power?
I do think there's an element of GM judgment required. I'm not completely against allowing wizards to burn character points to fuel spells. However, I would probably follow the model given in Fantasy and say that each character point buys 25 energy points' worth of magic. So if you want to cast a 300-energy spell "for free," you must pay 12 character points.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote