View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Toning down the grue

If you're going to be running a game for kids the level of violence is something you'll be accountable for. But when I was in middle school there weren't a lot of movies I watched that didn't feature heads exploding or body parts being lopped off, usually with geysers of gore and chunks of person. I started gaming when I was 10, and while the games weren't detailed in that violence my GM's didn't hesitate to describe the gruesome critical hits. I'd talk to your kid players and find out if they're uncomfortable with the violence before you start dumbing down what they may find the most enjoyable part of the game.

If you want to make that cut just cut out hit locations entirely. It's the cleanest and simplest way to not have to detail limbs being crippled or eyes being stabbed. I wouldn't try to simulate generic critical injuries. That's just being vague about the gruesome parts and kids have enough imagination that that just makes things worse. But keep the difficulty for targeting a weak spot in the armor or unarmored location.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote