View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 01:01 AM   #24
Bengt

Default Re: D&D5e Characters-What has worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post

At level 1 I was using burning hands when I wanted to kill large masses at a time, guided bolt and a long bow when people were outside my range, and the twin short swords when distance was close. With how the system is built I have a strength of 9 (-1 damage and to hit) but due to ranged and light weapons I was doing 19 dex (+4 to hit and damage) as well as the obvious ability of dex (+4 ac) giving me a total of +7 to hit, +4 damage, and an AC of 18 with fairly cheap armor.

I was dual swinging with a high enough to hit number I rarely missed doing 2d6+8 per round, meanwhile our barbarian with a great sword was doing 1d12+4 giving him a LOWER average damage, and less armor as he did not have dex as his primary ability.
Only light armour (11-12 base AC) gives you your full Dex bonus, medium armour (12-15 base AC, though 15 is very expensive) caps the Dex bonus at 2. For a starting cleric to get AC 18 take Chain Mail (16 base, no dex bonus at all) and a shield (adds 2), Chain Mail is cheap (or free if using the starting gear bundles and you are proficient in heavy armour (all Domains but Light)).

Also, you only add your stat bonus to off hand damage if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting style from Fighter lvl 1 or Ranger lvl 2.

So by the rules the example give AC 16 and 2d6+4 melee damage.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote