View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
Gef

Default Re: DF: Forgotten Realms Martial-Arts Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
Whew ... that does add a lot of depth and distinction to different styles, but I think it maybe goes too far in the detail/bookkeeping department for my purposes.
They're easier to use than to explain, actually. I hear styles described as "aggressive" or "defensive" and wanted a simple way to model that...and it is simple, if you allow only one such quirk per skill, and then only for skills known at the 8-point level or higher. No PC will have many.

It's also a great way to distinguish substyles: Master Bloof teaches an aggressive version of Imperial Swordsmanship with all of the complicated techniques stripped out.

I especially like Technique Focus, because under ordinary circumstances, it's only cost-effective to raise a couple of techniques. That does a good job differentiating between two students of one style but a poor job distinguishing students of different styles that use the same base skills. With Technique Focus, you get a couple of techniques that are your best choices, but a few more that you favor. Most of the styles I designed for my fantasy campaign have half a dozen techniques per skill, to be eligible for use with the quirk.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote