View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Brainwashing (and Brain Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Out of curiosity, did you just submit it?

I'm wondering if the text of Brainwashing there is meant to be setting specific.
I e-mailed it on the 13th. I tend to do most of the research for these posts straight after submitting the previous one, so that I have time to think about it before finalising the text. If Empathy is meant to boost Brainwashing in the Madness Dossier setting, then the text to say so seems to be missing.
Quote:
I've never used the skill in my games (I think I've mentioned that I shy away from mind control and related themes). Using it 'for good reasons' is a concept I have a hard time wrapping my head around. Wouldn't treatment like that just be done with Psychology or else move into dystopian territory?
If a setting had reliable technological means of, say, altering brain chemistry to fix depression, but they required skilled use of equipment, rather than prescribing medicines, then the process of using them might resemble brainwashing with good intentions. I don't think there's any analogy to this in the real world, but people create some weird settings.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote