View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
awarnock

Default Re: Need some help with an alien race

They are supposed to be short, like maybe the length of someone's upper arm. They can play the piano, drink a cup of coffee, and wave hello while fixing something with the other four limbs, assuming that they have the piece memorized and it doesn't require a lot of concentration, and that the piano is made for children.

Maybe it might help if I gave a drawing in comparison to a human? Maybe this one's too ambitious for a relatively new player to do? I dunno, that's why I was asking for help.

So, this was my first idea.

Short Arms [-5]
Extra Arms 4 (Short) [20]
Prehensile Toes [4]
Semi-Upright [-5]

Which works out to 14 points for the physical build, but the last sentence in Semi-Upright makes me think that this isn't right. They can carry stuff, it's just that they can't move fast.

Okay, so let' go with malloyd's suggestion.

While walking upright, they are on two short legs. So let's say that they have Basic Move 2 [-15].

They can get +1 to Basic Move per pair of limbs they now walk on.

+2 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Extra Arms, -20%) [+8]
+1 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Fine Manipulators, -30%) [+3]

So now things look like:

Short Arms [-5]
Prehensile Toes [4]
Basic Move 2 [-15]
+2 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Extra Arms, -20%) [+8]
+1 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Fine Manipulators, -30%) [+3]

So the build is now 15 points, which makes the ability to walk and carry stuff a perk apparently. :P

Given that I'm shooting to be 50 points or less with the racial templates, this is fine with me. If anyone's curious, Prehensile Toes are the same thing as Foot Manipulators. Bio-Tech uses the Prehensile Toes and I just happen to prefer that to Foot Manipulators.

I pictured them as pretty good climbers, so in their stone ages they probably mostly hunted by ambushing prey from above when not fishing or diving for clams and other shellfish. I'm thinking Catfall might not be a bad idea for these guys either.

Hmm, just reread the description I wrote for them and they are supposed to be astonishingly fast when on all eight legs. Looks like I need one last edit.

Short Arms [-5]
Prehensile Toes [4]
Basic Move 2 [-15]
+4 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Extra Arms, -20%) [+16]
+4 Basic Move (Temporary Disadvantage: No Fine Manipulators, -30%) [+12]

So, they get a pretty speedy Basic Speed 10 when going "full eights" and it bumps the cost for this up to 31 points. Not too bad for a four foot tall otter. :)

Thanks for all your help. I think I would have been in Analysis Paralysis without your input.

Now, I just have to figure out if making snarky comments about stupid policies is a Quirk or an Odious Racial Habit.

Last edited by awarnock; 09-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.
awarnock is offline   Reply With Quote