View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #50
Gollum

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm just saying that there are more than just two camps: stat normalization or point optimization.
Yes. There are GMs who like both camps, depending on the campaign.

And those who especially insist on the story: everything can be justified... As soon as there is a good background or reason to justify it!

Even in a realistic world, for instance, a player telling that his character improves his DX rather than skills with a very good argument could sounds fine.
Through the practice of his favorite weapons, my character suddenly realized how to move his body faster and become more effective... "Perception!", he thought,"Perception is the key. Paying much more attention to the surrounding, to see things coming in advance and act rather than contenting myself to react! That is what I will try to do know."
Indeed, in reality, even in harsh and realistic reality, skill improvement is never progressive. Sometimes, you realize something that allow you to make a jump in a whole field of knowledge, if not several. And some other times, you stagnate at the same level, no matter the efforts.

Of course, in a harsh and realistic, this jump has to remain a little one. +1 to IQ or DX. No more.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote