View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #888
Otaku

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Of course this build is valid (which has the added benefit of affecting non-living creatures as well):

Impaling Attack 1d-3 (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 1024 yards, +500%; Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300%; Increased 1/2D Range x10, +15%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [13] + DR 3 (Cosmic, +50%; Impaling Only, -40%) [17]

I toned it down area effect wise since I couldn't be bothered to figure out the exact maximum possible value. No matter what direction that flies off in the area effect will mean it'll still hit your target provided it's within 924 yards of you. The DR protects you from the damage it'll deal, which averages 1pt impaling, so usually 2pts of injury per hit against a living target.

The moral is that it's very easy to break GURPS, just as it's easy to break any logical framework of rules, it's the GM's job to prevent it from happening. Of course it can make life difficult, sometimes the most practical way of making something results in a build that breaks the game a little.
Forgive me, but I always struggled comprehending the original M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. attack and I'm still struggling with this one.
  • Impaling Attack: The base damage will be 1d-3 and the damage impaling.
  • Affects Insubstantial, +20%: So it can affect insubstantial beings in addition to normal, substantial targets.
  • Area Effect, 1024 yards, +500%: So affecting an area with a radius of 512 hexes if I did the math correctly (first level gives is radius 1, each subsequent level doubles radius).
  • Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300%: Bypasses DR
  • Increased 1/2D Range x10, +15%: Is this needed if we turn it into an Area effect? I am guessing "yes" since it is here but I just wanted to be certain. ^^'
  • Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%: So you roll to hit with a +8 to hit due to RoF 300, with an additional hit for each multiple of the attack's recoil value (in this case, 1)?
  • Selective Area, +20%: Allows you to select which targets within an area are actually affected.
  • Underwater, +20%: Allows the attack to be used underwater (normally a no-no), though only with 1/10th its usual range. In this case I guess that would mean an area with a radius of 51 hexes?
  • [13] + DR 3 (Cosmic, +50%; Impaling Only, -40%) [17]: Huh?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote