View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Lots of PCs have Leadership, in many genres. Lots of players like to lead.
Hum, we seem to have a difference here. Most players I know don't like the idea of being in charge, because it raises the ghastly possibility of being held responsible for other players' actions.
Quote:
Most players I know don't enjoy following orders, though, so PC parties tend to be egalitarian collectives rather than hierarchies.
IME it's a bit more fluid than that.
Quote:
There are games where some of the PCs get to order the others around due to military rank or one PC hiring another PC or whatever, but I think that's pretty rare compared to games where all the PCs are equal.
Quite a lot of the time we have someone who's "driving" the party of characters, but who that is tends to fluctuate depending on what's going on. In our military campaign, where there is a notional hierarchy of rank, the characters with higher rank don't tend to be assertive about it, and listen to whoever has what seem to be the best ideas.
Quote:
It's useful on NPCs, though. If the party wants to hire some minions, putting the PC with the best Leadership skill in charge of them seems smart.
Does the need for minions happen often for you? It's really rare for games I've played: we might acquire them for assistance with a search, for example, but almost never for combat.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote