View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #47
Mailanka

Default Re: Rapid Healing and Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Because Very Rapid Healing is a realistic advantage and Regeneration is not. As a GM, when I'm running a game where the humans are realistic humans, I'm not going to allow the players to pick up Regeneration with a UB in the same way I wouldn't let them shoot lasers out of their eyes with a UB. Humans can't do those things. So they can't get it, not even with a UB. That leaves them the option of Rapid Healing or Very Rapid Healing.
The Unusual Background cost makes it mundane. A DR of 1 or 2 is perfectly reasonable as well, but it's rare for normal humans to have, so you slap them with a UB cost. So is a cinematic skill here and there provided you paid the Perk "Special Exercise" point for it. That's one of the points of Unusual Background: to make something that normally would not be allowed (for whatever reason), available to a character (via whatever interpretation).

Arguably, Slow Regeneration is perfectly valid for mundane characters, it's just "rare," and so we require that they purchase it with a UB cost.