View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Absolute Timing/Chronolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The Advantage knows about time, not about calendars.
And?

I may not enjoy being lectured, but I also know I am a lot better off having people on the board explain to me how I am wrong, than to continue being wrong (...well, at least when I am wrong, which is more often than I care to admit). So go ahead and elaborate, though first, let me make sure we are talking about the same area.

It occurred to me; am I reading too much into the wording in the book example, which gives a five figure answer in days instead of in years, decades, etc.? I was focusing on the unit, not the calendar date.

Daylights saving versus time zones also seems a bit... wonky. I get why a character with either Absolute Timing or Chronolocation doesn't automatically apply Daylight Savings; its an "invention" to try and make better use of natural lighting when it is available (or something like that :P). Time Zones... are kind of the same thing. Especially in a world where travel and commerce are likely to take you far enough to transcend time zones, its a convenience to help keep things from getting a bit... weird. If anything, if anything, it would make more sense if you had to adjust as you traveled between time zones; you know how many hours it has been since whatever reference point you're keeping, but you probably should have to check in to know that while it was 8 AM where you started and has now been four hours, due to the local time zone difference its only 11 AM.

Or am I missing the point again; freedom from worrying about such things is why the Advantage "is"... in which case we come full circle about the little details it doesn't cover.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 07-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote