Default Re: [House Rules] Crakkerjakk's Reduced Skill List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Feedback if you want...
Thanks, I do appreciate it.

Quote:
Don't you mean professional skill?
Hobby fishing is to real fishing as a flower garden is to farming.
Gardening is small scale farming, not a hobby, but could easily be a farming specialization.
Fishing is Per/E, professional skills are Attribute/A

Quote:
Do you mean some sort of technique?
It is something specifically trained for.
Sure, I'd allow a technique. Maybe even just a skill-specific perk for getting a damage bonus hitting inanimate objects out of combat. Mainly, I just don't think people spend enough time on it to justify a skill, and I figure using a weapon or unarmed skill + telegraphed + AoA is good enough.

Quote:
Do you mean a spear technique with a Riding requirement?
Again specifically trained for.
I was thinking it was just something that people who knew how to use spears and how to ride could do, for the most part. You might get a few exceptions, and you might end up with some knights that are surprisingly good with a spear when dismounted. I hadn't considered that. Hmm... I think allowing a technique that allows you to exceed spear skill only when mounted seems okay.

Quote:
Um, piloting?
Figured it wasn't that different from piloting a glider or landing with a flight pack.

Quote:
Huh?
Figured it was close enough to Free Flooding Sub for gov'mint work. Unfortunately I overlooked the fact that Submarine is DX/A, not IQ/A.

Quote:
Sewing is a profession, not a hobby.
Sewing is an easy skill, thus a hobby skill

Quote:
Can't see how Climbing fits there, if you took it out I'd say that was a fine DX/H skill.
Acrobatics is DX/H, in order for it to stay balanced it needs to be more difficult. And yeah, Climbing should probably come out.

Quote:
Um, making everyone automatically able to swim wouldn't work for me at all.
It's not automatic. You can still take the skills separately just like in RAW. But if you want a short-hand for "Athletic mofo" you can just take the Athletics skill. If you want shorthand for "Athletic mofo that can't swim," take Athletics and Incompetence(Swimming)[-1].

Quote:
Might even work fine as IQ/H Expert Skill
Accounting and Finance are already Hard skills. Need to up the difficulty to not make Business blatantly better.

Quote:
IQ/H again, at most IQ/VH
Computer Hacking is already VH.

Quote:
A bit messed up pairing DX and IQ skills together like that...
Leatherworking is the only DX skill. Honestly I just assumed it was IQ along with all the other crafting skills, and I think I'd be okay with changing it so that was the case.

Quote:
IQ/H Expert Skill
The specializations are A, so individually each of them are H, combining both into one skill should be harder. I also thought about throwing in Electrician to make it a bit better of a deal.

Quote:
IQ/H Expert Skill
Artist, History, Philosophy, and Theology are all Very Hard skills once you strip the requirement for specialization from them. It's definitely an EH skill.

Quote:
IQ/VH is fine.
Pharmacy, Physiology, and Surgery are all VH skills. Needs to be more difficult to stay balanced.

Quote:
IQ/VH
Biology, Paleontology, and Physics are all VH skills.

Quote:
Smuggling? I'd just put that one into the professional skills.
The way it is now, someone with Sneaking can make themselves up to look like a turnip farmer, sneak some weapons past the front gate of the city in their wagon o' turnips, and then ghost around the city till they find the guy they're supposed to assassinate, and follow him back to his meeting place with the other guys they're supposed to whack. I think it fits.

Quote:
Hm, I'd say you'd want to separate out Unbalanced vs Balanced Weapons.
Which unbalanced v. balanced? In pole weapons? Might be a good idea. What does that leave, polearms in one pile, spear and staff in the other?

Quote:
Fencing and Swords default at -2 from each other?
I might even go as far as -4. I mean, you can use a rapier with the broadsword skill, but if you're used to using a broadsword I think it'd be a bit of a stretch to fight like a fencer.

Quote:
Other than my above comments, I think it's reasonable, don't bother with EH, not worth it.
It's necessary to make the super-skills balanced with the VH skills they incorperate. But I do thank you for taking the time to run through and comment. You made some good points.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote