View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Smaller creatures, hexes, and close combat (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I've been combing through the rules and am not sure I quite know how to handle smaller creatures like giant rates or big spider (both SM -1). Can more than one of them fit in a hex?
Good question! When moving around, officially, they're one to a hex (they're Semi-Upright, so they're Horizontal when moving). You could reasonably have a swarm and have two or three in a hex.
Quote:
If the party is in a one hex wide corridor, do the rats have to stay in single file, or can more than one swarm onto the front PC? I chose to allow two of them, which worked great and felt believable, but I wasn't sure if this was officially correct.
It worked. Who cares?
Quote:
A rat enters the character's hex in order to attack (bite). If the character wants to counterattack with a reach 1 weapon on their next turn, they need to step back a hex, right?
Right.
Quote:
If they can't step back (maybe other PCs behind them, or, say, an evil runic hallway), then they can't attack with their swords.
Well, you can allow an attack at a penalty. A certain book the guidelines for this forum says I shouldn't be mentioning says they can attack at -4.
Quote:
So let's say they want to punch the rat. Can they do that without dropping the sword? Or do they have to drop the sword (free action) and then start swinging their fists? (Nobody thought about kicking, which would have worked without dropping a weapon.)
Drop to strike unless it's a cutlass, which can do a hilt punch.
Quote:
Finally, the rats and big spiders can't get through much DR. I had the spiders attack a character's face, which was awesomely scary and everybody thought it was plausible because spiders are climbers and can jump. (Spider died before it succeeded, but it definitely spooked the player.) What about rats? Plausible to have them leap onto characters, climbing up to their faces? I mean, I know it's always the GM's call, but just curious how other people play this sort of thing out.
I can see them climbing over each other to get to the face, say one on top of the other. DX rolls to keep from falling off on any failure.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote