View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: What's the point of dual wielding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post

Multiple parries is one huge benefit.
This is the #1 reason cited by my players (can't speak for others!). Nobody uses two weapons unless they have already rid themselves of the -4 for the off hand via Ambidexterity, using a Main-Gauche to defend, or possessing other special abilities. So in effect, their basic parry penalties are 0/0/-4/-4/-8/-8 and so on instead of 0/-4/-8/-12/-16/-20 and so on. This is especially true at high power levels where having a block and +2 to active defenses from a medium shield isn't making a big difference – perhaps because you have skill 24, Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Parry 3, and Weapon Master, and your parries are 19/19/17/17 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

"I've got two magic swords"
"I want a crushing weapon and a cutting weapon"
"I've got poison on one weapon and don't want to waste it on one set of attacks"
Which can be summed up as: "I want all the benefits of two different but equally useful weapons at the same time." This is the #2 reason I hear. Again at high power levels, where overpowered items start to show up, it can be very attractive to wield OP Weapon #1 (say, one that gives ST and DX bonuses while wielded) and OP Weapon #2 (say, one that's very fine, armor-piercing in some way, and permanently poisoned) at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

"I have a weapon that can't be used to attack and parry on the same turn"
And this is #3. It's often really a variant on #2, because as a rule, the weapon that can't be used to attack and parry on the same turn is valuable for its massive damage. But for sure there's something to be said for "Haha, I have ST plus Striking ST of 26, so I can totally wield this normally two-handed flail in one hand for 5d+4 crushing at reach 2, never becoming unready, and penalizing enemy defenses . . . and still keep this handy sword in the other hand for parrying or just whacking people who get too close for the flail."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote