View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
hal

Default Re: GURPS ULTRATECH ballistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
A 10mmCLP is listed as 0.014lb total weight(The bullet and the propellant combined) that is equal to 98 grains.

Today the lightest 10mm bullets commonly used are about 135 grains, with something like 155-180 grains being more normal(and some bullets being 200 grains), then add the propellant to that and the UT total seems... very low in comparison.
I'm starting to get the feeling that these damage values are Pulled out of Thin air.

Here is what I just tried to do for a pistol round of 90 grains with a 1650 feet per second statistic. The Calculated Muzzle Energy in Joules was 737 Joules and the damage was 2d6+2 per the description in ULTRATECH. On the presumption that 1 gram of modern day propellant used in the G11 round contains 809 joules of energy, I would need about .9 grams of propellant to propel a half gram bullet down range. Problem is, the original x6 volume of propellant required for the rifle round. Since this is a pistol round, the ratio of 6:1 is probably too high. Call it half that, and the ratio of 3:1 would result in roughly 1.5 grams of propellant. This in turn, would increase the joules value to a higher rating.

So, let's say that the pistol uses a 3:1 ratio for propellant volume for pistols. 1.5 Grams of propellant is 1.5 x 809 Joules or 1213.5 Joules

New round based on 3:1 ratio of propellant to projectile by volume -

90 Grain bullet
2464 feet per second
damage is 3d6+3 (average damage is 13.9 damage, which means it probably should be more like 4d+0 damage instead, or even 4d-1 damage)

bullet weight is .004 pounds per shot (it has some trailing digits after 4, but it never rounds upwards and I left it at that.). This was calculated with a bullet weight of .5 grams, and 1.5 grams of propellant to equal 2 grams per round or .004 something pounds per round). It would be safer to say that it takes 226 rounds to equal 1 pound in weight.

Does this seem MORE reasonable to you overall?

My question now becomes - what is the stopping power of the bullet in general? Seems like it is a small round, very light weight. What happens when it hits something like armor? Would it be less likely to penetrate, or more likely? THAT I couldn't answer, but it seems like there is a reason to make bullets heavier in weight for larger targets. One of the Remington rifle bullets discusses that the .30-06 government round has different bullet weights depending on whether you're varmint shooting or game shooting. 100-130 grain bullets for varmint hunting won't penetrate as well against bigger game. It is suggested 100 to 150 to 160 grain for mid-range shooting, and 180, 200, or 220 grain for big game hunting.

The flip side of this is, that we have a 3.25 gram bullet for the G11 round, and that's only 50 grain. One has to wonder if they would have found that round to be anemic against military targets or not (again, I don't know what the real life story is here, just musing in ignorance!)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote