View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
David Johansen

Default Re: Reprinting GURPS 4E books?

The problem is that the 4e Basic Set is a lousy point of entry. I've been running my store for three years now and running GURPS demo games as often as I can. I've sold, three copies of Basic Set volume one and nothing more. The GURPS Basic Set scares too many people off.

I've advocated doing some simple, cut and paste supplements to GURPS Lite that would let people try a cut down and focused version of the system without spending any money but I think arguments for a GURPS Medium are also viable.

But I think there's another road that should be considered. Board Games are huge and I realize that they are expensive to produce but a GURPS based starter that cut the game back and focussed it might work. I'm not going to suggest plastic figures. I know, I know, shockingly out of character, who is this really? But what about a folio game product like the early Yaquinto games. Pick something hot, say superheroes (sadly the most complex and unapproachable thing to do in GURPS) and make a game that includes characters, map tiles ,(I like big sheets and I cannot lie but I don't think they'd be cheap in color or sell the game) scenarios, and pogs or cardboard heroes.

Most of the material already exists and I know it's not a small project, but I think SJG has invested enough in GURPS that it might be worth putting some money and effort into promoting it. And even if the money's a problem I expect the fans would be more than willing to support a kickstarter to promote GURPS with a solid point of entry product.

Disc World will be cool but, like GURPS, it's a name that carries certain connotations. I probably wouldn't put GURPS in big letters on the starter game. People already "know" GURPS is too complex, we want to trick them into finding out that it's not.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote