View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Paulon

Default Re: Shielding Earth/Moving Earth from Suns Red Giant phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Ah yes I forgot that one ! How practical do you reckon that is ? At least multiple Asteroid flybys are practical & feasible by foreseeable technologies . Even moving a small solid moon ( NOT Phobos or Deimos ) is fairly practical , but large asteroids are closer .
Using current or immediately foreseeable tech, not a chance of the gas giant idea working IMO. Longer term though, I can see it as possible to alter Earth's orbit around the Sun using that kind of system - it's developing the tech base needed for getting to Uranus then building the rocket not the theoretical science that's the big issue as far as an uneducated in the field person like me can see. Now, we definitely couldn't do it, but in a few centuries? Maybe. Would we bother at this point? Probably not as there's no reason to at present.

I have trouble seeing it as possible to safely insert Earth into a regular orbit in the Jovian system using a single gravitational source to tow it though, even leaving aside the question of Jupiter's rather energetic spacial environment and whether Earth's own magnetosphere would be enough to protect the planet from that.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote