View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
cosmicfish

Default Re: Gear rich, money poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
The issue here is how character points intersect with in-game profits. When we're talking about something like the Millennium Falcon, we're talking about a capital good. It's going to multiply your income if you use it for that purpose. It would be the same as if you owned a factory in the nineteenth century.

The other issue is purchasing items that don't increase your income in any way, but that are still expensive. If you can't monetize it, like that fitted suit, then it should be priced using the normal wealth rules, as per PK's suggested rules (or something very similar).

Maybe you could split the Wealth advantage into two parts: Assets and Income. You could adjust the value of the Income advantage by how often it comes up in the campaign. If it's rarely going to come up, then apply a price modifier. I'd figure some numbers based on what percent of sessions you earn any money, and then apply something like an Accessibility or Gadget limitation to capital goods.

If you own the Millennium Falcon, maybe you pay for it out of Assets, and then put a limitation on your Income to represent needing to have your ship available.

It might make more sense to have only separate income rolls, with the Income advantage working as a modifier on your income rolls, where the modifiers to the roll are priced separately.

Maybe that would be something like Income +3 (Gadget, Millennium Falcon, -x%) [?].

I would have to sit down and figure up what all the different numbers should be on this stuff. This seems to be one of the biggest problems we have in GURPS: figuring point prices of traits that give you advantages over time in-play. It's the same problem we have with trying to price a trait that allows you to learn skills faster. How should that be priced? We need to figure an answer for that.
This is indeed the issue - Wealth assumes a certain bracket of income. If you have Filthy Rich Wealth, you get Filthy Rich starting assets and Filthy Rich income potential. Perhaps I want Filthy Rich starting assets and Struggling income potential. Severing the two, without adding new story elements is the goal here.

The myGURPS page does all this, I am just surprised that in a universal system that this idea of adapting to a preferred concept is knocking so many people for a loop.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote