Thread: TFT Defense
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
tbeard1999

Default Re: TFT Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Are you referring to the "Left-Handed Weapons" rules on AdvMelee page 13? If so, I just came across this myself. Yes, I've decided it is high time to go back a re-read all of the Advanced Melee and TFT rules.
I need to do that too. It's been a very long time and a complete read-through might help.

Quote:
Yes, I agree. It seems quick and easy and in keeping with the spirit of the original rules.
AkAramis deserves the credit. He noted that there really are 2 kinds of melee fighting - "heavy" and "light".

Melee is apparently designed to simulate the "heavy" style. I posited that it may not be possible to cover both types of fighting in a single, *simple* game. Then I got to thinking how to do it in the most low-footprint way.

If the typical combatant is a high DX figure using a light weapon (say a cutless or rapier), then the parry/riposte rule becomes a fair representation that plays quickly. Maybe. I'd want to test it thoroughly. Stopping 2 hits and DX -2 may not be the correct settings.

Already, I'm musing that maybe the DX penalty should be -3. If it's -2, then you get the equivalent of leather armor (in melee combat anyhow) with no reduction in movement or for other DX activities. Or is the proper comparison to shields, not armor? A large shield stops 2 points of damage and reduces DX by 1. The parry/riposte ability is (agreeably) inferior to that.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote