View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #43
Skarg

Default Re: How Do You Imprison TFT Wizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
Also a wise use of the ordinary items can make a powerful wizard absolutely harmless.

I remember a powerful and dangerous wizard-thief carried in front of a judge. Iron everywhere on his body, legs and hands binded, but also - as extra security measure - he was been artificially held at ST around 5, just to talk and stand up in front of the court.

Some time later the hangman that used his tools against him to lower his ST points at a safe level, experimented an ugly death...
Drain Strength or injury certainly work (if the situation lets you do those). If the GM lets you do something else that can cause fatigue, you could keep their ST down, though that might take constant effort - maybe tying them up in a way that the GM agrees precludes rest, though again, you're needing to torture your prisoner, which might have in-game reasons for you not to do.

I've used (and seen others e.g. on the TFT email list create) house rules where the amount of metal determines the penalty, in which case adding more metal could increase the DX penalty over -4.

Of course armor & encumbrance and other physical issues can give a DX penalty. The Rope spell adds -2 DX per turn indefinitely, implying that just trussing up a wizard could reduce their DX to zero.

Except that Advanced Wizard page 9 specifically mentions a wizard tied to a tree, and suggests that having 5 IQ more than a spell requires gets around that. Even having 2 IQ more than a spell requires lets a wizard cast by speaking or making a gesture with one hand... (though logically that implies to me that a wizard also wouldn't suffer most DX penalties for casting such spells either (i.e. shouldn't they be able to ignore armor penalties if they can ignore being tied up?), which isn't mentioned).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote