View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #38
David Bofinger

Default Re: How Do You Imprison TFT Wizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
So maybe there needs to be a Potion of You Aren't A Wizard Today?
I'm reminded of the injection Mystique gave a guard, to help Magneto to escape. Something with too much iron in it.

Is there something inadequate about attaching iron to someone in a way it can't easily be removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
[...] you could have some form of conditioning that would prevent wizards from disobeying the law
A convenient system of enforced loyalty changes the society completely in so many ways, making a lot of stories difficult to tell. And what about wizard adventurers who cross jurisdictions, do they get conditioned by everywhere they visit?

Quote:
ala the Suk doctors in Dune, who are so conditioned to not take life that they are incorruptible until Baron Harkonnen finds a way to break the conditioning
This never made sense to me: threatening a loved one is the obvious first method anybody would try for breaking conditioning.

On the other hand we know Yueh's wife Wanna fell in love with him when she wasn't supposed to, and we know Bene Gesserit can mess with minds. I think the natural explanation is that Wanna made Yueh fall in love with her with an intensity beyond the normal limits of human romance. The conditioning found itself in a regime where it had never been tested and the irresistible force moved the immovable object. That only leaves the question of how Harkonnen figured it out.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote