View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
Stripe

Default Re: Deflect on a Shield

I'm an idiot. I'm misreading something here somehow because I just can't wrap my stupid brain around what seems to be a total contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Deflect probably shouldn't exist, it's an artifact of PD in previous editions. Note that it appears from the wording in Exploits that the Deflect enchantment also does not stack with the Shield spell (Spells 65).
That is correct. To quote Exploits, p. 47:
Magic can provide a DB, too. Only the best magical DB applies – such bonuses don't "stack."
Okay. Got it. No stacking. Only the best. Defending Shield +1, Deflect +2 only gives +2, not +3.

But, that, to me, means Defending Shield is now completely overshadowed by Deflect since it costs a whole lot more and does a whole lot less. I mean, +2 to DB for all defenses to all locations for $10K, or +1 to DB only while blocking for $20K, which are you going to choose?

But, then I read the other half of the quote . . .

Quote:
Defending Shield does stack nicely.
What? Defending shield does stack with Deflect? But, the quoted RAW literally said, "such bonuses don't 'stack.'"

That's how I know I'm reading something wildly wrong here, or I'm not catching something.

Quote:
I'd compare the situation to paying 15 points for Combat Reflexes, for +1 to all active defenses (plus a bunch of other nice stuff), vs. paying 25 points for Enhanced Block, Enhanced Dodge, and Enhanced Parry: You get the second thing only after getting the first, cheaper one, and you stack them.
Right. And that's what I thought. Enchant your shield with Deflect +2 for $10,000 then Defending Shield +1 for $10,000 for +2 DB for a parry or dodge, +3 DB to a block.

I know we've been through this on the GURPS forum, but can I get a break down?
  1. Joe has a small shield (DB 1) enchanted with Deflect +2 and Defending +1. Sam attacks him. Joe chooses block as his active defense. What is Joe's DB?
  2. Sam has a breastplate with Deflect +1 and a small shield (DB 1) with Defending +1. Ron attacks his torso. Sam chooses to block. What is Sam's DB?
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote