Thread: Vampire Virus
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Apollonian

Default Re: Vampire Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
For a game I'm running I need a vampire template that does away with the obvious supernatural powers (shape change and the like) but still keeps the flavor of an Alpha predator.

In the setting it is a retro virus created through magic and ancient technology (really one and the same) that rewrites the host's DNA. I can see unaging, improved healing and/or regeneration of lost limbs, enhanced senses, and the like.

I'd like to keep the template to under 200 pts, and avoid church related disads since they don't fit the setting. (Individuals may buy into them as psychological penalties).

One of the reasons for the blood drinking, I'm thinking, is mitochondrial dependency, on their own their cell's just can't generate enough power to fuel their enhancements.
Here's a pretty quick and dirty conversion of the High Tech Vampire from GURPS Blood Types.

High Tech Vampire [103]
Attributes: ST +10 [100], HT +5 [50]
Advantages: Leech 1 (Accelerated Healing +25%; Blood Agent, -40%) [22], Teeth (Sharp) [1]
Disadvantages: Infectious Attack [-5], Dependency (Human blood, very common, illegal, daily) [-30]; Unnatural Feature (Pallor, No Body Heat) -15; Unhealing (Partial; may heal from Leech) [-20]

You might also add +5 Per [25] for simple supernatural senses.

As for how it works, I think you'd be better off just making up some technobabble nonsense about "tapping the vril field inherent in living beings by drinking blood; the ability to tap said vril is sadly incompatible with natural healing and leads to certain psychological imbalances in ordinary humans, but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks for our super soldier program." Or some such. Tying it into actual working physiology is probably going to lead to pointless nitpicking and pedantry. At least on this forum.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote