View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
patchwork

Default Re: [WOD] [Banestorm] Yrth of Darkness: Yttaria by Night

In the first high-activity period, the Tremere are extremely new, depend on their fortress-chantries to survive, and are still hiding among (and using) the living hermetic mages of House Tremere, which hasn't fully twigged to the fact that its leaders are undead monsters yet. Cut off from all the resources they need to survive, surrounded by enemies and none of them elders yet, I would not expect a single Tremere to survive the initial landing. Heck, never underestimate the possibility of the Tremere being blamed for the Banestorm. The Ventrue take a beating because unity, discipline and cohesion have been their strategy to success, and the transition disrupts them. Neither are hurt as badly as the Tzimisce though, who must sleep in native earth that is now a worldline away. A generous GM may allow them to "retune" themselves to Yrth after a torpor in its soil, but mostly, they descend into mewling incapacity within a few days of transition. The possibility of an orc (or a dwarf?) being embraced by a Tzimisce early and instinctively interests me, but these will have no sire capable of instructing them...and recent transportee also will have the problem of no native earth available, at least potentially, so intitally those embraces would be likely to fail as well...

Thus, the clans in the best position to assume power are Toreador and Lasombra. You could choose to correlate Toreador with the Christian lands and Lasombra with the Islamic, but I would find mixing and exceptions interesting. Salubri and Cappadocians survive at least as far as the second major banestorm period. Ventrue and Tzimisce would fall far indeed. I would expect the Tzimisce to succeed well among Dwarves, actually - always in their native earth, the ability to adopt the powers to their own cultural ends without elder Tzimisce from Earth pushing them around, applying a tradition of craftsmanship to Vicissitude...

The slap in the face of the second banestorm would be - holy crap, the Warlocks won back on the First Earth. Assume a Tremere at least gets a message and a Gate token back before being extinguished. The Tremere become off-field enemies...they would be able to recruit Goblins as you suggest, but...here's a mana-rich world that knows about them and hates them. They will be bogeymen reaching through Gates to trade automatic firearms in exchange for concealed lab space. Giovanni would be more Devil Kindred cut off from their family and (presumably) their spiriti who murdered their sire and need to be wiped out, I wouldn't expect them to last.

I would expect the Sabbat to fizzle; the old Ytarrian Lasombra are powerful, they are autonomous, the Castle of Shadows is a distant memory. There is nothing to rebel against, and your Tzimisce allies didn't make the trip intact. Settle down and take your place at Court. But the Camarilla - an quasiegalitarian arrangement in which Ventrue lead, Toreador prosper and even freaks like the Tremere are tolerated and have a place - that will find many takers. It may be distorted in the telling, but - I imagine Ventrue tired of playing second fiddle leading the "lesser" clans in an attempt to found something like the Camarilla out from under the Toreador kings and Lasombra maliks - Tredroy? Caithness maybe?

Not sure where the Assamites fit. especially if the old Unbound meet the new Bound during the second banestorm.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote